Kids

Kids

Thursday, April 11, 2013

15 Year Anniversary

I got married 15 years ago today! I still remember many of the small details of the day. I was so excited. I was so eager to share every day and night with Don. It was as if the there were only a few weeks left in our lives and we had to be together. I recall thinking that two years was an eternity. Why would I go through an eternity to do then what I want to do now...be with Don. He was my best friend, the person I wanted to share all the details of my day with and spend all my time with and plan my future with, and everything and everyone else wasn't as important as him. It wasn't that they weren't important, it just wasn't even a thought that life outside of him was happening. We had bought a little house together on 60th and L Street. He was working during the day and taking plumbing classes at night. I was struggling to find my place in college and what I wanted to major in. My family was falling apart and the future at home uncertain. Nothing at the time seemed clear except the fact I wanted to be with Don. 
We were babies on our wedding day. I had just turned 20 and Don was two weeks shy of 20 years old. It is true that getting married that young presents itself with a set of challenges that otherwise wouldn't occur. I would be lying if I said the word divorce hadn't been brought up, more than once. A wise therapist was a gift for our marriage. I am thankful we are past the 3 year "reality sets in" and the 7 year "itch" didn't get scratched. I'm glad we hit the 10 year milestone, which I also mark as memorable as my wedding day. My husband out did himself that anniversary! I'm sad we are done making babies, but overwhelmed with gratitude that we have four of them together. I don't take for granted that we are in the "best" years of our lives right now. I have hope that the best years of our marriage are ahead, because right now we are in the throes of needy children and businesses. Exhaustion gets the best of us most days. He is here, but I miss him. I have to share him with lots of little people and the stress of life that consumes his and my minds. Someday I will write about all the time we have to sip coffee, take a road trip just for fun, and talk about the days when all the kids were little!!!!
Today, we celebrate 15 years married! I would still choose him. I think that is a good sign!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment