Kids

Kids

Saturday, June 8, 2013

A Saturday Morning Devotion

I've recently gotten better acquainted with "insecurity." In other words, it seems to be showing up on a daily basis in my life. Whether it is in my own head or I'm experiencing it coming out in the person I am talking to. Either way I don't want to be acquainted with it, but I get the feeling it wants to be my friend. It hangs out when I am in my closet sharing unpleasant comments, it makes me feel like I have 'too many kids,' that I'm not capable of raising well. It doesn't want me to have any friends, because it makes me doubt the loyalty and love of the ones I have. It makes me tired as I argue with it. I tell it that it's not true, but it's so damn persistent. 
I'm annoyed I woke up and it was already talking to me. Really? I haven't even opened my eyes! What am I going to do about this annoying houseguest? I guess the first step is what I'm doing now, acknowledging it is affecting my life.  Now to figure out a way to get it to leave. It is persistent and strong. I am tired and I can push it away with all the things my day requires, but I know it is there. Isn't that the thing about the 'i' word (I don't even like saying it), it is always there. In my life it normally hangs out in the shadows. Rarely appears, because I don't usually let it hang out long enough to make it self at home. But, I unfortunately let it in without knowing it and it made it self at home in my guest room. Before I knew it, it has left bits and pieces of itself all over my house. I'm done cleaning up everyday. Time to get it to leave. Easier said than done!
Thankful God gave Molly self assurance!
Many years ago I suffered a crippling effect of insecurity. Threw me into a tailspin of depression. One of the amazing things about going through something like that is you learn a few important skills about 'training' your thoughts. Surrendering my crippling thoughts of doubt to God took me  two years, but it was the only thing that worked. Jesus says, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light" (Matt 11:28-30). 
Ok, I've done that, I do that, now what?! If you flip thru the bible or read any daily devotion book, you will see it filled with 'giving Thanks' to God or praising God for what He has done. Psalms is filled with David in distress over situations and then the next verse is him writing about giving thanks for all things. "Let them give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for men, for he satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things." 

Today I will shift my thoughts to what I am thankful to God for... I might even ask God to give me some suggestions on what to be thankful for, that especially comes in helpful when I'm in my closet!
I opened the "Jesus Calling" devotional this morning and turned to June 17th by mistake, but with God there are no mistakes, because it was exactly what I needed.. 
Learn to laugh at yourself more freely. Don't take yourself or your circumstances so seriously. Relax and know that I am God with you.

So, please don't take this post so seriously! It was what I needed to get out this morning and I feel prompted to share it.  I like knowing I am not alone in the things I feel and the challenges I face. I figure that are a few others out there who can read this and be encouraged, you aren't alone!

Happy Wedding Weekend ahead for us!!! I love weddings! I also love my kids...Thankful God gave me 4 of them....






No comments:

Post a Comment