Kids

Kids

Monday, December 10, 2012

Giving and Receiving

We met with Santa. Don's friend lined it up weeks in advance to have Santa arrive at his house. Santa was set to arrive at 6pm. My always prompt daughter was getting all nervous because it was 6:05 and he hadn't arrived!

I have found "letters" to Santa all over the house. They have a list of the things they want. They even make, at School, computer graphic pictures of the items they want. Then when it comes to telling the "big" man himself they both froze. Nothing but "I don't know," from Molly and shoulder shrugging from Grant.
I've had a couple things come up the last few months in regards to receiving. It seems that it is easy for me to give. I love to shop, so buying for others is great fun for me! Giving of my time and my words is a little harder! The time, just because it is taken over by my family and the words...well I find myself getting nervous when I think about paying a compliment to a stranger. Or telling my husband outside of  a text that I think he is Hot! It makes me feel inside what Austin is feeling on the outside in this picture...
This was a photographers dream shot! He wasn't fighting it...just sat there screaming!
Receiving help and compliments. Well, the compliments I find myself deflecting..."cute shirt" Me: "it was on sale!" "Can I help you get that diaper bag, baby, toddler, coat, shopping bag?" Me: "oh, this is nothing, I do it all the time!" I believe it is easy for us to acknowledge the gift of baby Jesus at Christmas time. But do we receive the gift? Do we know it is for us and it would make the burdens in life much easier? Maybe I should try saying "thank you" after a compliment or "yes, I would like you take this bag and hold my toddlers hand for me." I think when a big bearded man ask me what I would like to receive this Christmas I should shout it out for all to hear!
I want to teach my kids how to receive kindness from others. The kindness and goodness from God in the form of a Savior is a good start! As with most everything in motherhood, it starts by me leading the charge!
Paul wrote in the book of 1 Timothy:
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners-of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life!
I am a mother to 4 little people. I get to be an example of how to give in this life and how to receive! What better time than at Christmas can I remind myself and my kiddos, and the 20 of you who read this, what this season is all about!

No comments:

Post a Comment