Kids

Kids

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Poor Elf

Our kids learn the alphabet fast with the help of our Christmas Tree! Dad needs the "M's"!!!

December is here and with it brings the constant badgering from my inner self..."why do you make so much work for yourself?" It is followed by the voice of my inner mother..."I'm making wonderful memories for my kids!" Our Christmas tree is very big! I think it is 9 feet tall and then add the fullness factor to it and it is probably more in the "huge" category. I was decorating the 12 foot tree at our church and someone commented that my tree at home was bigger. Whoa, What?!!! One of those moments where your own perception is skewed, then you hear someone else and it makes you stop and reevaluate! Like, do we really need a tree that takes a hour to put together, another 30 minutes to put lights on, then another hour to decorate, Oh and your kids scream in fear when Dad lifts them to put the star on the top...because "it is too high!"

 
I think I'm setting her up to have one of those shiny plastic trees that come in colors like bright pink.

The Elf made his appearance. Kids were so excited to find him and introduce him to Austin! Ha! A 2 year old and a tiny little elf that he watches his sister and brother run around the house looking for, point this elf out to him and then just stare at it! Let me tell you that is just too bizarre for a toddler. You need to touch and feel and play with new things in order to figure out what they are all about!
Only 4 days in and it has been rough!
Molly is annoyed and Grant is distraught over watching Austin grab the Elf! 2 years ago Don was pulling something apart and a piece of plastic flew across the kitchen, hit our Elf in the head, and he fell to the ground. Don picked him up and the kids freaked! They just told someone that story the other day.  Don had to explain then that when the Elf needs help then the parent can touch them. 
Tonight Molly stomped to her bedroom mumbling something about Austin and Grant's eyes filled with tears. "Our Elf can't make it to the North Pole now!" I should have said that the Elf shouldn't have sat himself in a crayon bucket where Austin could reach!!!!  But, instead I told Grant that Santa knows children very well. He also knows that many homes have 2 year olds that don't listen or understand. I don't think the Elf's magic will go away if Austin touches it. "But Mom, Austin squeezed him!" Yeah, I guess we will have to see if he is still laying on the counter tomorrow! (or if Mom finds a better spot to stick him). 
On an entirely different note: my baby loves baby food! She somehow worked her way to the base of her Christmas tree in her room. I did not put her there! She scooted, which means she is thinking about being mobile. This has me very disappointed. I was holding out hope she wouldn't walk til she was two!
If that hair doesn't make you smile then I feel sorry for you! (notice the long strand on the left). A friend told me today that babies who smile just make you feel joy inside! I have to agree when I see this picture!




1 comment: