Kids

Kids

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Break

I believe that when you become a mother you have given up all opportunities to have a break. In the job world you have to legally give an employee a 15 minute break for every 4 hours they work. At least 8 years ago when I was apart of corporate America it was that way! Wouldn't it be great if a bell went off in your house and you got to just look at your kids and say, "It is Mommy's 15 minute break." No one can need anything from me for 15 minutes!
When your a mother you can leave your kids, but it takes a ton of work to get away from them. I miss them when I'm away from them. I wonder how long they slept, what they ate, were the kids nice to them at school, did they eat all their lunch, do they miss me?
As I rocked my teething/ear infected baby for the umpteenth time tonight I thought about how I needed a break. It has been almost 2 years since I've been away from my kids for more than about 6 hours in the daylight! I sorta laughed to myself at the idea of getting a nice long 24 hours away from all 4 of them, because the process to get away for that long would be daunting and then I would be thinking about them "most" of the time.  As Austin read his books to me at bedtime I laid there thinking about a Camp for Mothers. (yes, I was really thinking this during bedtime! I do the same bedtime routine with 3 kids so I take myself to other places in my mind!) This camp would be only for Mother's who's children haven't turned 3 years old yet. Cause there is something extremely daunting about children under 3. Mother's quickly forget how challenging it is once their child has entered the 3 1/2 or 4 year mark. I did.
It would need to be a Camp that was only 3 days long...just long enough to get rest, but short enough to not bring on an anxiety attack. Your spouse could join you on the 3rd night. This camp would be a place where all questions would have to posed in the form of a response, so you wouldn't feel pressured to make any decisions.
Heidi looks like she could use a "break"...poor thing got mistaken for a boy today..."What a cute little fella!"

 You would be free to talk about your children as much as you wanted, but could not be offended if another camper got up and walked away if she didn't want to hear kid talk!
You would not be judged if you missed your children or left to go home after the first 6 hours.


Our children never leave us. Yes, they turn 18, they move out, but I can't imagine not thinking about them, being worried about them, praying for them. I'm starting to think that there is no "season" of motherhood that doesn't hold the occasional wish, deep down in our thoughts, for a "break."
However, I will say that I need, want, and even deserve a break from this child...after today!
tantrum happening because I won't let him have the camera

Don walked in as I was checking emails.."are you watching him?"... whoops

This time I was watching him and had my camera on the counter!  It's just a butter knife!
I pick up our neighbor boy for school. As he loaded in the van this morning I asked, "why a grumpy face?" On the verge of tears he said he was starving. He didn't have time to finish his breakfast. I offered up fruit snacks or mini chips ahoy, both of which I had in the console. He smiled and said No Thanks! I watched from my mirror as Molly took her Nutcracker Toy and had it start talking to him, "Are you starving? I eat nuts, chomp, chomp, chomp." The neighbor boy laughed. Grant then told him about what was in his lunch. Austin started doing his deep "funny" voice. He does this deep growl and says "kids to school." Which made me laugh out loud! We all started to do the funny voice and tried to get our bashful neighbor boy to do it too! He got out of the car smiling. Grant said he would give me a kiss, but then jumped out the van..."Hey, I was expecting a kiss." I got that super sweet smile that melts my heart..."I can't now."
I might need a stiff drink or meds by the end of the day, but the reality is I'm okay with never having a break. I would probably only last about 12 hours at the Mommy Camp anyway!


2 comments:

  1. Sarah, I loved reading this! You may notice it is 4:30 am. My boy woke me two hours ago. So...I am fully with you on this idea! How bout adding to the camp, "Uninterrupted sleep and showers guaranteed ." ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I'm right there with you on the break! Having 3- 2-1/2 and under has really taken its toll on me! I never thought having 6 would be this tough! Now. I live my kids, but a break would be great! I did get out for about 2 hours the other day. I enjoyed a pedi and a mani.
    Well, good luck with everything, I'm always looking for some kind help for here at home! Someday, right?

    ReplyDelete