Kids

Kids

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Austin=Anxiety

Anxiety must be my theme this week! I decided to look up the definition to see if it is accurate of my mental state these days...

: an abnormal and overwhelming sense of apprehension and fear often marked by physiological signs (as sweating, tension, and increased pulse), by doubt concerning the reality and nature of the threat, and by self-doubt about one's capacity to cope with it

I laughed out loud at the "self-doubt about one's capacity to cope with it!!!" Yep, Anxiety would be the word to define my week..or maybe my life as a mom! 


I wish I could just keep Austin in a "caged" area at all times. I should have rubber covers on all corners, a baby gate on the top/bottom of stairs, all rugs folded up (so he can't trip), security alarms on all doors and windows, maybe just a detection device on him would be best! He needs to be on a leash when outside...like a nice cloth bungee cord hooked to the house! I've asked Don to figure out a comfortable bubble wrap contraption to put around him. We could patent it and make a bunch of money. All the other Mother's out there with a "wild" child like mine would snatch 'em up! 
I could give you a rundown of the "things" Austin does to bring up my pulse rate, cause sweating, and tension. But, the fact is there isn't enough room on this blog or time on my hands, cause I'm too busy making sure Austin is not being injured!
He will be 2 years old in 2 weeks
We started off our Wednesday at 6am with Austin taking his feet and banging them against the wall. Molly and Grant are in the basement on beds right now and Molly awoke to it...Austin is on the top floor of house. There is no questioning why my older kids don't want to share a room with this toddler! Austin is the reason we are putting more money into our house...so everyone has their own room! So, this morning we were all talking about how next week will go, when Austin gets moved out of the crib and into his "big boy bed!" Molly thinks he will come wake her up first, Don said he will be in the kitchen getting his own cereal out of cupboard at 6am, and I stated that if we need it then a baby gate will be put at Austin's bedroom door! Don said "if" is not the word it is "when." Molly thought that was pretty funny! Don left for work and 2 minutes later my "when" boy gets down from the kitchen chair and catches his eye on the corner of the table! I saw it in slow motion as I sat feeding Heidi. I got up, laid her in the dark Living Room and was swooping Austin up by the time he reacted, and the blood started! 
I think there are mother's that get hit with consistent visits to the ER, they buy their Doctors Christmas gifts, and their children can show off their scars. Then there are the mother's that can count on 1 hand how times they have visited the ER with their 18 year old child! It isn't that their children are less crazy then the other mothers, it is just that we all can't have those "accident" prone kids. It is just the way the World of Motherhood works. 
God is kind and good and He knows my children and I'm thankful He knows me! I switched Pediatricians when I found out I was prego with Austin. My first one was moving to a location even further away. I interviewed 2 and settled on the 3rd. He is kind and understanding and exactly what God knew I would need for Austin! I think the fact my boy was 11lbs at birth was God's way of telling me He has my little guy in His sights. He knew Austin would need the extra padding!

My Peds Dr had me swing in to check out Austin's eye. I needed to go there anyway to pick up the Birthday invites Austin stuck behind the computer monitor in the exam room (I didn't know they were gone til I went to look for them!) Thankfully the swelling was causing the cut to stay together and it would heal fine. The  eyelid is a tricky spot to stitch/glue! 

Motherhood is hard. As mother's we shouldn't be quick to judge other mother's. We should be quick to have compassion on one another! Cause, that little boy running through the aisles at Target with the black eye...his mother spends her quiet moments praying that God would send extra Angels to protect him. She might be on the cusp of an anxiety attack and your judgement might send her over the edge!!!! Oh, and that little boy gets to take a nap, and his mother can't quiet her mind long enough to enjoy one! 
I love him so much it makes my heart hurt!

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy reading your posts, Sarah :) Even though my kids are 11 and 12 now, I can certainly relate to feeling anxiety for their safety. . .even now. My daughter isn't wild, but she is certainly accident prone. She has had stitches in her head from one incident, busted out a front tooth jumping a curb on her scooter, put her head through a glass window, and broken a toe just getting into a line for a bounce house (and those are only naming a few). Your children are beautiful and seem to be well taken care of. . .you are a good mother, and I'm sure you don't need me or anyone else to tell you that. Praise God we have a loving heavenly Father who looks out for our kids and calms our hearts and those anxieties when we ask. Prayers for you and your accident prone child ;)

    ReplyDelete