Kids

Kids

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Superwoman

I got out my cape today. The red one that has a Capital "S" on it, not for Sarah, but for Superwoman!  When you become a mom you might get one that you wear on your back, that oddly enough you can't see, but everyone else can! I think the fact we can't see our cape and others can is the reason that so many women think that one mom can "do it all," while thinking she can not...like she was forgotten by the "cape makers!" I had a woman tell me her daughter could "lead a small country," because she was on a trip with her husband and had left her 5 children in the care of sitter's and Grandparents. I was doing some major eye rolling in my head as I thought, "good for her." I doubt this girl's cape is prettier or bigger than mine, but that was what I was thinking!

Today I showered, put on make-up, flat ironed my hair, got dressed in something that didn't require thought, got 2 kids off to school with lunches packed and 2 babies dressed, a side dish for my meeting warmed in the oven and out the door by 8:30am. I mentioned I had my cape on...right?!
I went to my meeting with 50 other mother's and got a few comments..."how can you get here early, look cute, and you have 4 kids?! I can't even get here on time and I have 2 kids." I would guess this mom thinks I got a cape and she didn't!!!

I had a 2 year old in my bed at 5:50am watching cartoons and dropping Lucky Charms on my head. I endured the annoying television and cereal for about 20 minutes and decided to get up and get the only alone time I would get in the day...in the shower! It takes me 5 minutes to slap on makeup and about 10 minutes to do my hair after I've let it air dry for a hour.


Every Mother possesses great gifts. I can bake a great chocolate chip cookie with my kids. I love it, it's easy for me. My best friend...not so much. The whole process is excruciating for her! She can memorize the names to every Thomas the Train character, her knowledge of Star Wars is astounding and she can engage in conversation with her kiddo about it. I can't remember any trains after Thomas!
If you judged my evening by this picture you would probably be very "off"
The scene in the picture lasted about 2 minutes. Then Austin grabbed Grant's "coloring contest" picture and tore it. Grant burst in to tears. I pulled out my cape and said, "Mom can fix it!"
One of Grant's best works!
I have my "cape" moments just like every mother. I would say the cape doesn't come out as much as I wish it would. Most days I'm lucky to get a 2 minute shower. I sprinkled baby powder in my hair before going to the Peds Doctor the other day...to soak up the grease. My kitchen wreaked of soiled milk today because I forgot about the kitchen towels laying on the floor after a tipped cup happened 2 days ago. I made some yummy cookies this afternoon, but my family didn't get dinner! If we only look at a quick snapshot and assume we know the story, we are actually missing the big picture.
what did I do?
I had a few of the neighborhood kids over after school to work on the "reindeer" craft and eat some homemade cookies. They wanted nothing to do with the craft and they did eat a lot of cookies! Kids don't see Moms in terms of what they do as being super. I think they just see "us" as super. Being there and doing what we do best is enough for them. Grant didn't doubt for a second that I wouldn't be able to fix his picture. The Coke bottle reindeer...what one of my neighbors called "ambitious" was only seen as annoying by the kids, because I wouldn't let them drink it!
this boy knows his Mommy wears a cape!




No comments:

Post a Comment