Kids

Kids

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

I'm not old, I just "feel" old

I'm feeling my age, at least that is what I'm blaming it on! I don't think I'm "old." I actually love being in my 30's. It is everything I thought it would be. The challenge in my 20's was figuring out the "realities" of life. Thinking I knew what "stress" was in High School and then realizing that was nothing! The 20's is about getting used to the real world. I wouldn't want to go back to my 20's. I'd like my 22 year old legs, but that's about it! My 30's...I'm just having to get used to a body that is getting older.
I ran the Lincoln Half Marathon on Sunday. My 4th Half Marathon. My first since having the last 2 babies. I ran it faster than I did 5 years ago! For that I'm pretty proud of myself. I enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to running the next one! However, three days after running it, my body is exhausted, to the core exhausted. It might have something to do with how full the day was...up at 12:30am with a sick 2 year old, up again at 5am, race at 7am, home by 10:30am, out the door by 12:30, dance concert at 2pm, helping Molly change 3x (in the basement at Burke High School), dinner with my bf, Sunday night television with my hubby, in bed at 10pm. Monday at 4am I was awakened by a sick 2 year old. I was a walking zombie on Monday. I had no appetite. My legs hurt, but it wasn't too bad. Today, I'm still without an appetite, my lungs ache, my body telling me to just sit on the couch!
I'm feeling my age with this race recovery!

Molly loves these two girls

Watching the 'older' girls rehearse

She loves to dance!
I've grown to love watching dance!
I like to look back on running over the years. A couple reasons:
1. I am still surprised I found a "sport" I enjoy. And I'm reminded that just because you weren't an athlete or anything else for that matter in High School doesn't mean your ever to old to find something your good at.
and
2. I have been given so many gifts through my running. 
    ~Friendships
I was and still am friends with Jessica. She ran a half marathon 6 months after having baby #2. It filled something in her at the time, when she needed it the most. I was inspired watching her at the finish line and watching Don finish behind her a Full Marathon. Then Don goes onto to run another race in Arizona and he says to me "that would be a good race for you." That was all I needed to hear. I had the security I needed to say I want to try it. Get Jessica on board to train with me and she starts pestering Kim. The only reason Kim said "yes" is because God wanted her to run with us. (we didn't know that at the time!). I recall Jessica having to really bug her and Jessica isn't someone who bugs. 
I would not have the friendship with those two that is at the level it is if we hadn't ran together! They are like sisters to me. We all ran together about a year and Kim said "never again." Jessica does it to curb the guilt over eating a cupcake. The foundation of friendship was established over those 6am runs through Gretna. Annoyance over someone having an attitude or complaining or pushing each other to finish. Them not being morning people, but showing up because it was most convenient for me. There is nothing like finishing your first race! I'm pretty sure I'll never forget it. I'm glad I got to share it with these two.

Then another friendship came about three years later. I had to go to India and sit next to her for 18 hours on 4 different airplanes to get to know her. We figured out we both like to run. The long days of being at an orphanage had us burning energy in the hallways and stairwells of our Combiatore Hotel. I still can't believe we ran with the aroma of Hindu incense surrounding us! God gave me a friendship that isn't based on our kids, or husbands, or the history we shared in School. 
Just good 'ole "enjoying each other." 

This was my 2nd Race with Susie


Mile 11 and we are smiling!
This is probably what I love about running with her...we keep it positive. When one of us isn't positive we call the other out on it and there isn't annoyance there is just positivity!
~Random acts of kindness
I didn't think I'd be able to run this Spring. Don leaves at 5:30am six mornings a week, long days with kids, and exhaustion in the evenings. Running is my escape. My only place to find solitude. The only long stretch I get to clear my head, refuel, soak in God's blessings, and overwhelm myself with thankfulness for all I have been given. I started thinking it wasn't my season to run. Who am I kidding, I have four demanding kids and a husband who works long hours. A week after I thought in my head, "I'm going to stop running for the next couple years," a longtime friend stopped by my house to drop something off. She was headed to the gym. She shared how she hates running, but does a little bit on the treadmill to keep her heart healthy. I started sharing how I was probably going to have to give up running. She leaves my house and 2 days later I get a message from her. Simply put, "God is telling me to help you run. I'm glad he isn't telling me to run! We will talk about your schedule when you get home from Colorado." I immediately burst into tears. Austin was sitting next to me and says, "Mommy? Mommy cry?" Tears of joy little man, Mommy is happy, overwhelmed, overcome with God's goodness. My friend Kris came over two mornings a week for more than two months so I could run. Austin calls her "krissy." He loved the routine of having a playmate for a short amount of time while "Mommy run." 
Life is so much better when we stop saying God doesn't do anything for me and we start noticing the little things He gives us. They are everywhere, everyday, and in all things. We just have to train our thoughts to take notice.  



The day after my race the kids had their annual "Torch Run" at School.
My ambitious Molly ran 3 miles!!!!!
Poor thing is suffering from the same thing as her Mom...sore legs, exhaustion, no appetite!
I am so proud of her!

13 miles of running has nothing on the challenge of this group!
I am so in love with each one of them

No comments:

Post a Comment